CarFit Program Update
We want to start by thanking each of you for your immense patience and understanding over the last two years. We know it hasn’t been easy to halt in-person activity for so long and that most of us are ready to get back into our communities to offer education and support to older road users. The great news is that with the updated CDC Community Level framework, we’re beginning to see many counties across the U.S. reporting Low or Medium Community Levels. With these changes, we can begin planning for and holding in-person activity again.
That said, the health and safety of our volunteers, drivers, and host facilities is of paramount importance to the CarFit administrators, and we have developed a set of programmatic reopening guidelines that we respectfully ask all volunteers to follow when planning in-person events and trainings.
- Check the CDC tracking map and local guidelines. In-person CarFit activity can only be held in counties that are listed as LOW or MEDIUM.
- Learn the rules and regulations associated with your volunteer affiliated organization, employer organization, and host facilities to ensure compliance.
- Start small by conducting 1:1 check-ups or hosting very small CarFit events. Make sure to leave plenty of time between check-ups when scheduling appointments with drivers.
- Maintain social distance between other volunteers and drivers. Masks may be required depending on local authority and facility guidance.
- Establish cleaning procedures to disinfect equipment between use. Stock-up on supplies you may need for your events such as masks, pens, hand sanitizer, disinfectant wipes/spray, as well as OT devices if applicable.
- Keep volunteers, drivers, and hosts informed of onsite procedures and expectations, so that everyone knows what to expect on the day of the event or training. Please stay home if you’re experiencing cold, flu, or COVID-like symptoms!
With the new CDC framework, it’s possible that additional changes and the removal of certain restrictions may be coming in the coming weeks and months. Please stay up to date with the latest CarFit guidelines by visiting the CarFit website, checking in with your CarFit administrator, or attending a future Open Forum.
Thank you for your unyielding support of CarFit over the last two years! We look forward to seeing CarFit activity happening in our communities again.